Are You Really Saved?
How can we know that we are truly saved or born-again? This question can be a daunting one for many supposed Christians who are questioning their salvation and those who leave they are strong and steadfast in the faith. Depending on what your church teaches there are many answers to this question. Sadly for example some churches and pastors will send those questioning their salvation back to a time when that person said a "sinners" prayer or came forth during a altar call as proof of their salvation. These pastors while they may think they are helping those seeking reassurance of their faith, they are not. They are actually leading some into a false assurance of salvation when those questioning their faith may not even be saved in the first place.
If you or someone you know is questioning your salvation how would you find the answer to your question? The best way to find the answer to this question is to look at Scripture and determine by Scripture if you were truly saved or if you have not yet been converted by the Holy Spirit. Don’t rely on what your pastor says or your church as the condition of your salvation, rely strictly on what the word of God says,
Below are 10 key signs of a Truly Born-Again Christian. One does not have to possess all of the signs to be born-again but should show some of the signs and a growing degree as they mature in their faith.
1. A true believer admits he or she is a sinner. He does not believe he can go to heaven by being a "good" person. She understands her own totally depravity. (1 John 1:8)
2. A true believer lives a life of obedience by keeping God's commandments more often than breaking them. A true convert is not a habitual sinner. There's a difference between stumbling into sin and jumping in with both feet. While true converts may continue to sin as part of the struggle with our sin nature, the life of a true convert is marked by a desire to pursue holiness and walk in obedience to God's Word. (1 John 2:3-6, 1 john 3:6, 1 john 5:2)
3. A true believer does not harbor hate for his brother but displays forgiveness, love, and compassion. (1 John 2:9, 1 john 2:11, 1 John 3:15, 1 john 4:16, 1 john 4:20)
4. A true believer proclaims Jesus Christ as the Son of God and defends the exclusivity of Christ in a world of multiple religious systems. (1 John 4:15)
5. A true believer hopes and longs for the return of the Lord. (1 John 3:2-3)
6. A true believer does not love the world or the things of the world, nor the world's system of evil, ruled by Satan. (1 John 2:15)
7. A true believer desires to serve and help other Christians. (1 John 3:17, 1john 3:14)
8. A true believer rejects false teaching. (1 John 2:22-23)
9. A true believer loves being with other believers and hearing the Word taught. (1 John 5:1)
10. A true believer remains in the truth and perseveres in the faith. (1 John 2:24)
So how did you measure up to these 10 signs of a true convert? Your salvation is between you and God so make sure you are right before the Lord while you are here on earth and not sitting on the judgment seat before God Himself. Don’t let your church or your pastor sell you short and give you a false sense of security in your salvation if it's not true.
PHILIPPIANS 2:12 ~ "So then, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only,but now much more in my absence, work out your salvation with fear and trembling."